ASPECTS CONCERNING FEM MODELLING OF AN ULTRASONIC HORN USED AT MICRO-EDM DRILLING
The paper deals with finite element modelling (FEM) of complex shape ultrasonic (US) horn that has its end a wire tool-electrode used for micro-drilling by ultrasonically aided electrical discharge machining (EDM+US). The US horn is the technological component of an ultrasonic chain actuated by a sandwich PZT transducer supplied from 40 kHz generator. The shape and dimensions of ultrasonic horn was determined through several stages of FEM modelling strategy, aiming at obtaining the resonance condition of ultrasonic chain, i.e. the equality between natural frequencies of the sandwich PZT transducer and the US horn with included tool. The influence of different constructive conditions of US horn on its natural frequency and amplification were established in order to replicate the modelling strategy for other horn complex form. Finally, the measurements related to resonance conditions validated the strategy of FEM modelling creating conditions of CAM application for horn achievement.
2. Hung, J.-C. et al., Using a helical micro-tool in micro-EDM combined with ultrasonic vibration for micro-hole machining, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 16 pp. 2705-2713, (2006).
3. Gao, C., Liu, A., Study of ultrasonically aided of micro-electrical-discharge-machining by the application of workpiece vibration, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 139, pp. 226-228, (2003).
4. Hoang, K.T., Yang, S.H. A study on the effect of different vibration-assisted methods in micro-WEDM, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 213, pp. 1616–1622, (2013).
5. Praneetpongrung, C., Fukuzawa, Y., Nagasawa, S., et al. Effects of the EDM combined ultrasonic vibration on the machining properties of Si3N4, Materials Transaction, Vol. 51 (11), pp. 2113–2120, (2010).
6. Iwai, M., Ninomiya, S., Suzuki, K., Improvement of EDM properties of PCD with electrode vibrated by ultrasonic transducer, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 6, pp.146–150, (2013).
7. Qinjian, Z., Luming, Z., Jianyong, L., et al. Study on electrical discharge and ultrasonic assisted mechanical combined machining of polycrystalline diamond, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 6, pp. 589–593, (2013).
8. Jahan, M., P., et al., Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM). Types, Technologies and Applications, Nova, New York, (2015).
9. Nad, M., Ultrasonic horn design for ultrasonic machining technologies, Applied and Computational Mechanics, No. 4, pp. 79–88, (2010).
10. Astashev, V.K., Babitsky, V. I., Ultrasonic Processes and Machines: Dynamics, Control and Applications, Springer, (2007).