FINITE ELEMENT MODELLING OF HYDRAULIC MECHANICAL REMOVAL MECHANISM AT ULTRASONICALLY AIDED EDM FINISHING
The paper deals with finite element modelling (FEM) of material removal mechanism due to ultrasonically induced cavitation in the working gap at finishing modes of electrical discharge machining. The peaks of machined microgeometry are removed, having lower shearing resistance than the other parts of microgeometry, thus the surface roughness being reduced. Experimental data are presented that indicated an optimum value of power consumed on ultrasonic chain, including the electrode-tool, at which a minimum value for surface roughness was obtained. This corresponds to a pressure developed by collective implosion of the gas bubbles from the working gap, produced by shock waves oriented along the working gap, parallel to machined surface. This ultrasonic effect is considered a cycle pulse fatigue load on the flanks of microgeometry profile.
2. Khatri, B. C., Rathod, P., Valaki, J. B., Ultrasonic vibration–assisted electric discharge machining: A research review, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, March, pp. 1-12, (2015).
3. Chavoshi, S. Z., Luo, X., Hybrid micro-machining processes: A review, Precision Engineering, 41, pp.1-23, (2015).
4. Guo, Z.N., Lee, T.C., Yue, T.M., Lau, W.S., A study of ultrasonic - aided wire electrical discharge machining, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 63, pp. 823–828, (1997).
5. Abdullah, A., Shabgard. M.R., Effect of ultrasonic vibration of tool on electrical discharge machining of cemented tungsten carbide (WC-Co), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, October, Vol. 38, Issue 11, pp. 1137-1147, (2008).
6. Ghiculescu, D., Marinescu, N.I, Varga, G., Nanu, S., FEM study of thermal front dynamics at micro-electrical discharge machining aided and not aided by ultrasonics, Nonconventional Technologies Review Vol. XVIII, Nr. 3, pp. 43-48, (2014).
7. Endo, T., Tsujimoto, T., Mitsui, K., Study of vibration-assisted micro-EDM, The effect of vibration on machining time and stability of discharge, Precision Engineering, Vol. 32 (4), pp. 269–277, (2008).
8. Ghiculescu, D., Marinescu, N. I., Jitianu, Gh., Jiga, G., Finite element analysis of gas bubble influence on ultrasonic aided electrodischarge machining, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference of DAAAM Baltic Industrial Engineering, Vol. 1, 2, pp.177-182, (2010).
9. Drobota, V., Resistance of Materials (in Romanian), Didactic and Pedagogical, Bucharest, (1982).