TECHNOLOGICAL PERFORMANCES INCREASE AT ULTRASONICALLY AIDED EDM IN CONNECTION WITH VALORIZATION OF INTANGIBLE ASSETS
The paper deals with technological performances increase at electrical discharge machining aided by ultrasonic longitudinal vibrations of electrode-tool (EDM+US), in terms of machining rate and machined surface roughness. Some experimental data are presented in relation with finite element modelling of EDM+US material removal process. The machining rate could be increased by growing the probability to overlap the pulse time on cumulative microjets stage (CMS) – the effect of ultrasonically induced cavitation in the frontal gap. The surface roughness could be decreased through optimization of a key-parameter of working mode, the consumed power on ultrasonic chain. All these technological improvement with market impact on EDM users segment, very sensitive to cost level, are feasible if the organization applying this hybrid technology (EDM+US) valorizes the connected intangible assets, operable through some main competencies, technology, supplying, marketing, innovation, quality assurance, continuous costs decrease provided by accumulated know-how and patents series in EDM field.
2. Kunieda, M., Hayasaka, A., Yang, X.D., Sano, S., Araie, I., Study on Nano EDM Using Capacity Coupled Pulse Generator, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 56, Issue 1, pp. 213-216 (2007).
3. Kalyanasundaram, V., Virwani, K.R., Spearot, D.E., Malshe, A.P., Rajurkar, K.P., Understanding behavior of machining interface and dielectric molecular medium in nanoscale electro-machining, CIRP Annals, Vol. 57, Issue 1, pp. 199-202, (2007).
4. Jahan, M.P., Malshe, A.P., Rajurkar, K.P., Experimental Investigation and Characterization of Nano-scale Dry Electro-machining, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 14 (4), pp. 443-451, (2012).
5. Jahan, M. P., Virwani, K. R., Rajurkar, K. P., Malshe, A. P., A comparative study of the dry and wet nano-scale electro-machining, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 6 pp. 626 – 631, (2013).
6. Ghiculescu, D., Marinescu N.I, Varga, G., Nanu, S., FEM study of thermal front dynamics at micro-electrical discharge machining aided and not aided by ultrasonics, Nonconventional Technologies Review Vol. XVIII, Nr. 3, pp. 43-48, (2014).
7. F. Van Dijck, R. Snoeys, Theoretical and Experimental Study of the Main Parameters Governing the Electrodischarge Machining Process, Mecanique, Vol. 301-302, pp. 9-16 (1975).
8. H.-P. Schulze, G. Wollenberg, R. Herms, K. Mecke, Gas bubble morphology in small working gaps at spark erosion, 2004 Annual report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 16-20, October, pp. 534 – 537, (2004).
9. Kiyoshi Inoue, Fundamental of Electrical Discharge Machining, Society of Non – Traditional Technology, Tokyo, (1977).
10. D. Faulkner, C. Bowman, Elements of competitive strategy, Teora, Bucharest, (2000).
11. Vulturescu, V., Ghiculescu, D., Marinescu, N., Mitroi, M., Integrated method for evaluation of intangible assets applied to research SMEs from nonconventional field, Nonconventional Technologies Review, Vol. XVIII, No. 4, pp. 117-122, (2014).