INFLUENCE OF SOME PROCESS INPUT FACTORS ON THE SURFACE ROUGHNESS AMPLITUDE PARAMETERS AT EDM WHEN USING TUBULAR TOOL ELECTRODES
The electrical discharge machining could be used sometimes to improve the roughness of the machined surfaces. The values of the surface roughness parameters are affected by the characteristics of the electrical discharges developed between the closest asperities existing on the active surface of the tool electrode and on the workpiece surface to be machined. An electrical discharge machining scheme based on the use of tubular tool electrodes was applied to detach cylindrical parts from a parallelepipedal workpiece. An experimental research was developed to highlight the influence exerted by the pulse on time, pulse off time and average peak current intensity on some of the surface roughness parameters which take into consideration the amplitude of the asperities corresponding to the machined surface, in the case of a test piece made of high speed steel HS18-1-1-0. Power type mathematical empirical models were determined by mathematical processing of the experimental results and using a specialized software. The analysis of the empirical mathematical models showed that the values of the surface roughness parameters increase when the average peak current intensity increases and slowly decrease when the values of the pulse on time increase also. In our
case, one noticed that for the experimental conditions, the pulse off time practically does not affect the values of the considered surface roughness parameters.
2. Creţu, G., Fundamentals of the experimental research. Laboratory handbook (in Romanian), Technical University “Gheorghe Asachi”, Iaşi, Romania, (1992).
3. Gedelmwla, E.S., Koura, M.M., Maksoud, T.M.A., Elewa, I.M., Soliman, H.H., Roughness parameters, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 123, No. 1, pp. 133-145, (2002).
4. Ghiculescu, D., Nonconventional machinings (in Romanian), Editura Printech, Bucharest, (2004).
5. Jabbaripour, B., Sadeghi, M.H., Shabgard,M.R., Faraji, H., Investigating surface roughness, material removal rate and corrosion resistance in PMEDM of γ-TiAl intermetallic, Journal of
Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 15, pp. 56-68, (2013).
6. Keskin, Y., Halkaci, H.S., Kizil, M., An experimental study for determination of the effects of machining parameters on surface roughness in electrical discharge machining (EDM), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 28, pp. 1118-1121, (2006)
7. Marinescu, N.I., Gavrilaş, I., Vişan, V., Marinescu, R.D., Nonconventional machinings in machine building (in Romanian), Vol. II, Editura Tehnică, Bucharest, Romania, (1993).
8. Nichici, A., Achimescu, N., Popovici, V., Popa, H., Nica, M., Paulescu, G., Machining by erosion in the machine building (in Romanian), Publishing House Facla, Timişoara, Romania, (1983).
9. Patel, K.M., Pandey, P.M., Venkateswara Rao, P., Determination of an optimum parametric combination using a surface roughness prediction model for EDM of Al2O3/SiCw/TiC ceramic composite, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 675-682, (2009).
10. Salonitis, K., Stournaras, A., Stavropoulos, P., Chryssolouris, G., Thermal modelling of the material removal rate and surface roughness for die-sinking EDM, International Journal of
Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 40, pp. 316-323, (2009).
11. Slătineanu, L., Mircescu, C.-I., Dodun, O., Coteaţă, M., Beşliu, I., Evolution of ring cavity depth at electrical discharge machining using tubular tool electrodes, Buletinul Institutului
Politehnic din Iaşi. Publicat de Universitatea Tehnică “Gheorghe Asachi” din Iaşi, Vol. LXI (LXV), No. 3, Secţia Construcţii de Maşini, pp. 43-50 (2015).
12. Slătineanu, L., Nagîţ, G., Dodun, O., Coteaţă, M., Chinesta, F., Gonçalves-Coelho, A., Pamies Teixeira J., San Juan, M., Santo, L., Santos, F., Non-traditional manufacturing processes,
Publishing House Tehnica Info, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, (2004).
13. Ţîţu, M., Nanu, D. Fundamentals of machining using concentrated energies (in Romanian). Sibiu (Romania), Editura Universităţii Lucian Blaga, Sibiu, Romania, (2002).