RESEARCHES ON THE BEHAVIOR OF ECOLOGICAL DIELECTRIC LIQUIDS AT CLASSIC AND ULTRASONICALLY AIDED EDM
The paper deals with the behavior of environmentally friendly dielectric liquids: rapeseed and sunflower oil, compared to an usual hydrocarbon based dielectric liquid. Experiments have been performed with these dielectric liquids, using them at classic electrical discharge machining (EDM) and ultrasonically aided electrical discharge machining (EDM+US). The results concerning productivity and the roughness of machined surface under these same working conditions were compared. Computerized models have been developed, using the finite element method for material removal mechanisms related to these processes. The aim was to explain the behavior of dielectric liquids under specific conditions of EDM and EDM+US.
2. Satyarthi, M.K, Bharti, S., A review of Impacts of EDM on Environment, Health and Safety, International Symposium on „Fusion of Science & Technology”, New Delhi, India, January 18-22, (2010).
3. Sanghani, C.R, Acharya, G.D., Effect of Various Dielectric Fluids on Performance of EDM: A Review, Trends in Mechanical Engineering & Technology, volume 6 (issue 1), (2016).
4. Karaosmanuoglu, F. et al., Fuel properties of cottonseed oil, Energy Sources, nr 21, pp. 821-828, (1999).
5. Abeysundara, D.C et al., Coconut oil as an alternative to transformer oil”, ERU Symposium, pp. 1-11, (2001).
6. Pfluger, B., Familiar With Your EDM Fluid?, Canadian Industrial Machinery, (2013), available at: https://www.canadianmetalworking.com/article/metalworking/familiar-with-your-edm-fluid, accessed at: 20.12. 2018
7. Davim, J. Paulo et al., Microfabrication and Precision Engineering Research and Development, Woodhead, (2017), available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/dielectric-fluid accessed at: 20.12. 2018.
8. Bashi, S.M et al., Review of advances in transformer dielectric insulating fluids, Journal of Industrial Technology, vol. 14, pp. 71-86, (2005).
9. Ghiculescu, D., Marinescu, A., Performances obtained with local air purification system with active coal at EDM”, Review of industrial ecology, no.10, pp.12, (2000).
10. Dorobantu, P.I, Chemical analyses of some commercial oils, mix type and their importance in feeding (in Romanian), Review of scientific papers, Agronomy series, vol. 5, (2008).
11. Jahan, M.P., et al. Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), Types, Technologies and Applications, Nova Publishers, New York, (2015).
12. Drobotă, V. Resistance of materials (in Romanian), Didactic and Pedagogical, Bucharest, (1983).