ESTABLISHING CONDITIONS FOR WIRE ELECTRICAL DISCHARGE CUTTING USING GREY RELATIONAL ANALYSIS
The wire electrical discharge machining is a nonconventional machining method applied to machine ruled surfaces in plate type workpieces made of electroconductive materials. There are various methods to establish the optimal values for the process input factors in the case of the wire electrical discharge machining. One of these methods is the gray relational analysis that takes into consideration distinct weightings for some of the process output parameters. The method was applied considering the pulse on time, pulse off time and average current intensity as process input factors. The process output parameters were the surface roughness and the machining speed of penetration in the plate type workpiece. In this way, distinct combinations of the process input factors values were established for different weightings of the output parameters.
2. Chihaia, L, Cifor, L. Ciobanu, A., Ciubotaru, M., Cobeț, D., Dima, E., Florescu, C., Teodrovici, M., Teodorovici, C. Illustrated encyclopedic dictionary (in Romanian). Publishing House Cartier, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, (1999).
3. Ghiculescu, D., Nonconventional technologies (in Romanian), Printech, Bucharest, Romania, (2004).
4. Dodun, O., Contribution regarding the optimization of wire electrical discharge machining. Doctoral thesis (in Romanian). “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University of Iaşi, Romania, (2000).
5. Kumar, K, Ravikumar, R., Modeling and optimization of wire EDM process, International Journal of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 37-50, (2014).
6. K. Mouralova, L. Benes, Zahradnicek R., Bednar J., Hrabec., P, Prokes, T., Matousek, R., Fiala, Z., Quality of surface and subsurface layers after WEDM aluminum alloy 7475-T7351 including analysis of TEM lamella, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 99, No. 9–12, pp 2309–2326, (2018).
7. Reolon, L.W., Laurindo, C.A.H., Torres, R.D., Amorim, F.L., WEDM performance and surface integrity of Inconel alloy IN718 with coated and uncoated wires, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 100, No. 5–8, pp. 1981–1991, (2019).
8. Slătineanu, L., Fundamentals of scientific research (in Romanian), PIM Publishing House, Iaşi, Romania, (2019).
9. Slătineanu, L., Nagîţ, G., Dodun, O., Coteaţă, M., Chinesta, F., Gonçalves-Coelho, A., Pamies Teixeira, J., San Juan, M., Santo, L., Santos, F. Non-traditional manufacturing processes. Publishing House Tehnica Info, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, (2004).
10. Ţîţu, M., Nanu, D., Fundamentals of machining with concentrated energies (in Romanian), Publishing House of the “Lucian Blaga” University, Sibiu, Romania, (2002).