OBTAINING EXTERNAL CYLINDRICAL SURFACES BY ELECTRICAL DISCHARGE MACHINING USING PLATE TYPE TOOL ELECTRODE
The electrical discharge machining is a machining method applied when the workpiece material has a high hardness or the shape of the surface to be machined is to complicate to be obtained by a classical machining method. A problem of actual interest is the electrical discharge machining of small diameter external cylindrical surfaces in the case of materials characterized by high hardness. Among the distinct electrical discharge machining processes capable to be used in order to obtain small diameter cylindrical surfaces, a process based on the use of a plate type tool electrode was selected. A full factorial experiment with three independent variables and two experimental levels was designed and materialized to highlight the influence exerted by the pulse on time, pulse off time and peak current intensity on the heights of the cylindrical columns generated by electrical discharge machining. By mathematical processing of the experimental results, power type empirical mathematical models were established. The empirical models confirmed the strong influence exerted by the peak current intensity on the process output parameter.
2. Ghiculescu, D., Nonconventional technologies (in Romanian), Printech, Bucharest, Romania, (2004).
3. Mastud, S.A., Kothari, N.S., Singh, R.K., Johnson, S., and Joshi, S.S., Analysis of debris motion in vibration assisted reverse micro electrical discharge machining, ASME 2014 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference collocated with the JSME 2014 International Conference on Materials and Processing and the 42nd North American Manufacturing Research Conference, Vol. 1: Materials; Micro and Nano Technologies; Properties, Applications and Systems; Sustainable Manufacturing, Paper No. MSEC2014-4157, (2014)
4. Nageendrababu, K., Development of arrayed structures using reverse EDM (R-EDM). Master thesis. National Institute of Technology Rourkela India, (2015).
5. Nichici, A., Popovici, M., Nica, M., Achimescu, N., Popa, H., Paulescu, G., Machining by erosion in machine manufacturing (in Romanian), Publishing House Facla, Timişoara, Romania, (1983).
6. Singh, S.K., Chourasia, A., Agarwal, P., Reverse EDM of collective electrodes in micro ECM, International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 10, pp. 342-346, (2014).
7. Slătineanu, L., Nonconventional technologies in machine manufacturing (in Romanian), Tehnica-Info, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, (2000).
8. Slătineanu, L., Stoica, Ş., Coteaţă, M., Dodun, O., Nagîţ, G., Beşliu, I., Machining speed at obtaining external cylindrical external surfaces by electrical discharge machining using plate type tool electrodes, Buletinul Institutului Politehnic din Iaşi. Publicat de Universitatea Tehnică „Gheorghe Asachi” din Iaşi, Secţia Construcţii de Maşini, Vol., No. , pp. 39-50, (2018).
9. Ţîţu, M., Nanu, D., Fundamentals of machining with concentrated energies (in Romanian), Publishing House of the “Lucian Blaga” University, Sibiu, Romania, (2002).