CONVERSION INTO HEAT OF MICROWAVE POWER USED IN THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS OF GLASS FOAM
The manufacture of glass foams from container glass waste, silicon carbide as a foaming agent (1.75-1.9 wt.%) and an addition of 1:6 aqueous solution of KNO3 (0-1.75 wt.%) was performed at sintering temperatures between 913-952 ºC. Using the effect of the microwave power conversion into heat, the predominantly direct and partially indirect microwave heating reached high heating rates (25.2-28.8 ºC/min) and the specific energy consumption had very low values (0.70-0.83 kWh/kg), generally, below the values of industrial manufacturing processes. The characteristics of the glass foam products were excellent, the optimal sample obtained with 1.9% SiC and 1% KNO3 having an apparent density of 0.28 g/cm3, porosity of 87.3%, compressive strength of 5.1 MPa and pore size between 0.25-0.45 mm. The material is a very good thermal insulator for civil engineering.
2. Scarinci, G., Brusatin, G., Bernardo, E., Cellular Ceramics: Structure, Manufacturing, Properties and Applications, Scheffler M., Colombo, P. (eds.), Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co KGaA, Weinheim, Germany, pp. 158-176, (2005).
3. Technical Information-TECHNOpor, (2016). http://www.technopor.com
4. Wang, X., Feng, D., Zhang, B., Li, Z., Li, C., Zhu, Y., Effect of KNO3 on the microstructure and physical properties of glass foam from solid waste glass and SiC powder, Material Letters, Vol. 169, pp. 21-23, (2016). https://www.doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2015.12.076Get_right_and_content
5. Potassium nitrate, Pubchem, National Institute of Health, (2015). https://www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Potassium-nitrate
6. Wu, J.P., Rawlings, R.D., Lee, P.D., Kershaw, M.J., Boccaccini, A.R., Glass-ceramic foams from coal fly ash and waste glass: production and characterization, Advances in Applied Ceramics, Vol. 105, No. 1, pp. 32-39, (2006).
7. Fernandes, H.R., Tulyaganov, D.U., Ferreiro, J., Production and characterization of glass-ceramic foams from recycled materials, Advances in Applied Ceramics, Vol. 108, No. 1, pp. 9-13, (2009).
8. Bai, J., Yang, X., Xu, S., Tang, J., Preparation of foam glass from waste glass and fly ash, Materials Letters, Vol. 136, pp. 52-54, (2014).
9. Saeedi, M., Mirkazami, S.M., Abbasi, S., Influence of Co3O4, Fe2O3 and SiC on microwave and properties of glass foam from waste cathode ray tube display panel (CRT), Advances in Applied Ceramics, Vol. 113, No. 4, pp. 234-239, (2014).
10. Zhang, Q, He, F., Shu, H., Qiao, Y., Mei, S., Jin, M., Xie, J., Preparation of high strength glass ceramic foams from waste cathode ray tube and germanium tailings, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 111, pp. 105-110, (2016).
11. Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M.F., Axinte, S.M., Foam glass gravel made of recycled glass waste and silicon carbide by microwave heating, Journal of Engineering Studies and Research, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 173-180, (2020).
12. Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M.F., Axinte, S.M., Comparative analysis of the own experimental techniques of producing the foamed glass-ceramic, Journal of Engineering Studies and Research, Vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 55-64, (2016).
13. Dragoescu, M.F., Axinte, S.M., Paunescu, L., Fiti, A., Simulating foam glass production in a tunnel furnace powered with microwaves, International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 718-722, (2018).
14. Dragoescu, M.F., Paunescu, L., Axinte, S.M., Fiti, A., The use of microwave fields in the foaming process of flat glass waste, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Management Research, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 49-54, (2018).
15. Dragoescu, M.F., Paunescu, L., Porous material from recycled glass waste as an alternative to existing building materials, Constructii, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 48-56, (2020).
16. Paunescu, L., Axinte, S.M., Grigoras, B.T., Dragoescu, M.F., Fiti, A, Testing the use of microwave energy to produce foam glass, European Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 8-17, (2017).
17. Freeman, E.S., The kinetics of the thermal decomposition of potassium nitrate and the reaction between potassium nitrite and oxygen, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 79, pp. 838-842, (1957). https://www.pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01561a015
18. Dragoescu, M.F., Paunescu, L., Axinte, S.M., Fiti, A., Influence of the color of bottle glass waste on the characteristics of foam glass produced in microwave field, International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations, Vol. 7, No. 72, pp. 95-100, (2018).
19. Manual of weighing applications, Part 1, Density, (1999). http://www.docplayer.net/21731890-Manual-of-weighing-applications-part1-density.html
20. Anovitz, L.M., Cole, D.R., Characterization and analysis of porosity and pore structures, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, Vol. 80, pp. 61-164, (2005).
21. Hurley, J., Glass-Research and Development, Final report, A UK market survey for foam glass, Banbury-Oxon, Great Britain, The Waste and Resources Action Programme Publication, (2003)
22. Foam Glass Manufacturing, Energocell Foam Glass, Debrecen, Hungary, (2014). https://www.energocell.hu/en/foamglass-manufacturing/
23. Paunescu, L., Grigoras, B.T., Dragoescu, M.F., Axinte, S.M.,Fiti, A., Foam glass produced by microwave heating technique, Bulletin of Romanian Chemical Engineering Society, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 98-108, (2017).
Copyright (c) 2021 Lucian Paunescu, Marius Florin Dragoescu, Sorin Axinte, Felicia Cosmulescu, Bogdan Paunescu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.