EXPANDED GLASS EXPERIMENTALLY MADE FROM RESIDUAL GLASS, ALUMINUM NITRIDE, AND MANGANESE DIOXIDE THROUGH MICROWAVE IRRADIATION HEATING
An expanding agent (aluminum nitride) from the carbide and nitride group, less used in the cellular glass manufacturing process, was tested together with manganese dioxide in the experiment presented in the paper. The powder mixture of recycled residual glass and the two mentioned additives was thermally sintered and expanded by predominantly direct microwave irradiation at temperatures between 820-850 ºC. The remarkable energy efficiency of the original heating technique allowed obtaining very economic specific energy consumptions between 0.80-0.95 kWh/kg. The optimal products had the apparent density between 0.35-0.43 g cm-3, porosity between 79.5-83.3 %, heat conductivity between 0.080-0.094 W (mK)-1, and compression strength in the range 4.0-6.7 MPa. The cellular material has the characteristics required for its using as a thermal insulation material in the building sector.
2. Scarinci, G., Brusatin, G., Bernardo, E., Glass foams in Cellular Ceramics: Structure, Manufacturing, Properties and Applications, Scheffler, M., Colombo, P. (eds.), Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & KGaA, Weinheim, Germany, pp. 158-176, (2005).
3. Foamglas for the building envelope. Cellular glass insulation guide, Pittsburgh Corning Europe NV, Tessenderlo, Belgium, (2016). http://www.foamglas.com
4. Insulation materials and their thermal properties, (2022). http://www.greenspec.co.uk/building-design/insulation-materials-thermal-properties/
5. Lebullenger, R., Chenu, S., Rocherullé, J., Merdrignac-Conanec, O., Cheviré, F., Tessier, F., Bouzaza, A., Brosillon, S., Glass foam for environmental applications, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 356, pp. 2562-2568, (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrtsol.2010.04.050
6. Ewais, E.M.M., Attia, M.A.A., El-Amir, A.A.M., Elshenway, A.M.H., Fend, T., Optimal conditions and significant factors for fabrication of soda lime glass foam from industrial using nano AlN, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol.747, pp. 408-415, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.03.039
7. Shi, H., Feng, K., Wang, H., Chen, C., Zhou, H., Influence of aluminium nitride as a foaming agent on the preparation of foam glass-ceramics from high-titanium blast furnace slag, International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy, and Materials, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 595-600, (2016). https://link.spinger.com/article/10.1007/s12613-016-1271-7
8. Axinte, S.M., Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M.F., Sebe, A.C., Manufacture of glass foam by predominantly direct microwave heating of recycled glass waste. Transactions on Networks and Communications, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 37-45, (2019).
9. Yeh, C., Tuan, W., Oxidation mechanism of aluminium nitride revisited, Journal of Advanced Ceramics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 27-32, (2017).
10. Terayama, K., Ikeda, M., Study on thermal decomposition of MnO2 and Mn2O3 by thermal analysis, Transactions of the Japan Institute of Metals, Vol. 24, No. 11, pp. 754-758, (1983).
11. Dragoescu, M.F., Paunescu, L., Axinte, S.M., Fiti, A., Influence of the color of bottle glass waste on the characteristics of foam glass produced in microwave field, International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations, Vol. 7, No. 72, pp. 95-100, (2018).
12. Manual of weighing applications, Part 1-Density, (1999). http://www.docplayer.net/21731890-Manual-of-weighing-applications-part-1-density_html
13. Anovitz, L.M., Cole, D.R., Characterization and analysis of porosity and pore structures, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, Vol. 80, pp. 61-164, (2005).
14. Kharissova, O.V., Kharissov, B.I., Ruiz Valdés, J.J., Review: The use of microwave irradiation in the processing of glasses and their composites, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 1457-1466, (2010).
Copyright (c) 2022 Lucian Paunescu, Sorin Mircea Axinte, Felicia Cosmulescu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.