ALUMINO-SILICATE WASTES USED FOR MAKING CELLULAR GRAVEL BY NON-CONVENTIONAL DIRECT MICROWAVE HEATING METHOD
Cellular gravel based on alumino-silicate wastes including residual clay brick recovered from construction demolition and fly ash resulted from coal burning in energy industry was experimentally made. The expanding process made with glycerin as a liquid organic material together water glass was obtained by direct electromagnetic wave warming without affecting the structural integrity of the product. The special effectiveness of the direct irradiation of the material led to extremely low specific electricity consumption (0.53-0.64 kWh/kg). The optimal version had the following characteristics: bulk denseness of 0.21 g·cm-3, heat conductivity of 0.063 W·m-1·K-1, compression resistance of 3.9 MPa, flexural strength of 2.4 MPa, and cell dimension within the limits of 0.2-0.5 mm. The use of alumino-silicate wastes in association with direct microwave warming keeping the physical, thermal, mechanical and microstructural properties unchanged (almost similar to industrial products) constitutes the paper originality.
2. Zegowitz, A., Cellular glass aggregate serving as thermal insulation and a drainage layer, Buildings, Vol. 11, pp. 1-8, (2010).
3. Environmental Product Declaration, Glapor Werk Mitterteich GmbH, (2016). https://www.Glapor_cellular_glass_gravel
4. Scarinci, G., Brusatin, G., Bernardo, E., Glass Foams in Cellular Ceramics: Structure, Manufacturing, Properties and Applications, Scheffler, M., Colombo, P. (eds.), Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co KGaA, Weinheim, Germany, pp. 158-176, (2005).
5. Karandashova, N. S., Goltsman, B. M., Yatsenko, E. A., Analysis of influence of foaming mixture components on structure and properties of foam glass, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 262, (2017).
6. Lakov, L., Toncheva, K., Staneva, A., Simeonova, T., Ilcheva, Z., Composition, synthesis and properties of insulation foam glass obtained from packing glass waste, Journal of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 125-129, (2013).
7. Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M. F., Axinte, S. M., Foam glass gravel made of recycled glass waste and silicon carbide by microwave heating, Journal of Engineering Studies and Research, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 173-180, (2020).
8. Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M. F., Axinte, S. M., Foam glass gravel from recycled glass waste produced with the microwave energy, Nonconventional Technologies Review, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 22-28, (2020).
9. Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M. F., Axinte, S. M., High mechanical strength porous material used as a foam glass gravel experimentally manufactured from glass waste by an unconventional technique, Constructii, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 54-62, (2020).
10. Paunescu, L., Axinte, S. M., Cosmulescu, F., Experimental manufacture of the foam glass gravel from glass waste and silicon carbide on a 10 kW-microwave oven, Journal of Engineering Studies and Research, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 75-81, (2022).
11. Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M. F., Axinte, S. M., Thermal insulating material with high mechanical strength made from clay brick waste and coal ash using the microwave energy, Journal of Engineering Studies and Research, Vol. 26, No, 2, pp. 28-34, (2020).
12. Kharissova, O. V., Kharissov, B. I., Ruiz Valdés, J. J., Review: The use of microwave irradiation in the processing of glasses and their composites, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 1457-1466, (2010).
13. Axinte, S. M., Paunescu, L., Dragoescu, M. F., Sebe, A. C., Manufacture of glass foam by predominantly direct microwave heating of recycled glass waste, Transactions on Networks and Communications, vol. 7, No. 4, (2019). https://doi.org/10.14738/tnc.74.7214
14. Kitchen, H. J., Vallance, S. R., Kennedy J. L., Tapia-Ruiz, N., Carassiti, L., Modern microwave methods in solid-state inorganic materials chemistry: From fundamentals to manufacturing, Chemical Reviews, Vol. 114, No. 2, pp. 1170-1206, (2014). https://doi.org/10.1021/cr4002353
15. Jones, D.A., Lelyveld, T.P., Mavrofidis, S.D., Kingman, S.W., Miles, N.J., Microwave heating applications in environmental engineering. A review, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 75-90, (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(01)00088-X
16. Yüksel, N., The review of some commonly used methods and techniques to measure the thermal conductivity of insulation materials, in Insulation Materials in Context of Sustainability, Almusaed, A., Almssad, A. (eds.), ISBN 978-953-51-2625-6, (2016). https://doi.org/10.5772/64157
17. Rathnakar, G., Shivanan, H. K., Experimental evaluation of strength and stiffness of fibre reinforced composites under flexural loading, International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology, Vol. 2, No. 7, ISSN 2277-3754, (2013).
Copyright (c) 2023 Lucian Paunescu, Sorin Mircea Axinte, Bogdan Valentin Paunescu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.