THE IMPROVEMENT OF EDM PULSE GENERATOR PERFORMANCES BY USE OF THE NEWS SILICON-CARBIDE MOS TRANSISTORS
In the first part of this article the authors make a short presentation of the resistive current limitations technique used in Controlled Pulses Generators for die Sinker Electrical Discharge Machining. In the second part, the inductive current limitations technique and schematic principia of EDM Pulses Generator based on Buck Converter are also presented. The results of circumstantial simulation for basic Buck Converters using different electronic power devices, presented in the third part, gives in evidence the superiority of SiC MOS Buck Converters in terms of electrical efficiency. An electrical schema for the gap emulation is conceived for use in simulation. The behaviour of SiC MOS Full Bridge EDM Pulses Generator is simulated using electrical schema presented in the fifth part, where the peak current limiting technique was used. The possibility to achieve bipolar ignition voltage, for reducing the ignition time, was indicated in presented example. A good electrical efficiency for switching frequency at high values permits to obtain EDM pulses of short duration. In the final part an electrical schema was conceived for simulation, using interleaved technique for achieve high value of positive current discharge for roughing machining. A desired profile of discharge current pulse can be easy obtained and this permits to minimise the electrode tool wear.
2. Diaconescu, C., Nanu D. Vesa E. - An experimental pulse generator to test the effect of alternative pulses during the pre-ignition phase, in EDM, Nonconventional Technologies Review, no. 3, 2011, ISSN 1454-3087, Volume XV, pp. 23-26, (2011).
3. Kunieda, M., Lauwers, B., Rajurkar, K.P., Schumacher B.M., Advancing EDM through Fundamental Insight into the Process, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Volume 54, Issue 2, pp. 64-87, (2005).
4. Nanu, D. ș.a., Tratat de tehnologii neconvenţionale - Vol.II - Prelucrarea prin eroziune electrică, Editura ULBS, Sibiu, ISBN 973-695-071-9. (2004).
5. Läuter, M., Casanueva R., Schulze H.P., Francisco J. Azcondo F.J., Wollenberg G.- Development Trends of Process Energy Sources for Special Applications of the Spark Erosion, ICNcT 2005, Bucureşti, Nonconventional Technologies Review no.1, ISBN 973-718-357-6, pp. 15-26, (2005).
6. Ray-Lee Lin, Cheng-Ching Hsu, Shih-Kuen Changchien - Interleaved Four-Phase Buck-Based Current Source With Center-Tapped Energy-Recovery Scheme for Electrical Discharge Machining, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Volume: 26, Issue: 1, DOI: 10.1109/TPEL.2010.2052070, pp. 110 - 118, (2011).
7. Zhao B., Qin H., Nie X., Yan Y., - Evaluation of isolated gate driver for SiC MOSFETs, 8th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), pp. 1208-1212, (2013).
8. Nanu D., Toma E., Țîţu M. - Some Aspects of Microcontrollers Applications in Switched Mode Power Supply for the Pulse Generator of Electroerosion Machines, Nonconventional Technologies Review, Volume XIV no. 4, pp 39-43, (2010)
9. Toma E., Simion C. - Micro-Stepping Command of Hybrid Stepper Motors used for Electrode Tool Displacement of Sinking EDM-Machines, Nonconventional Technologies Review, Volume XIX, no. 2, pp. 50-55, (2015)
10. Erickson R.W., Maksimovic D. - Fundamentals of power electronic, Springer Science & Business Media, (2007