MACHINING SPEED EVALUATION AT ELECTRICAL DISCHARGE DRILLING WITH TUBULAR TOOL ELECTRODE
The electrical discharge drilling could be applied in order to obtain cavities in workpieces made of materials difficult to be machined by classical machining methods. Distinct factors exert influence on the drilling speed. An experimental research was designed and developed by considering the depth of the cavity achieved by means of a tubular tool electrode. One used a machining scheme involving the achieving of the work movement by test piece to the tubular tool electrode clamped on the machine tool table. In this way, the influence exerted by the spurious electrical discharges facilitated by the presence in the work gap of the metallic particles detached from the two electrodes can be diminished. Empirical mathematical models were determined by mathematical processing of the experimental results and using specialized software. The empirical mathematical models proved a high influence exerted on the drilling speed by the peak current intensity.
2. Han, F., Wang, Y., Zhou, M., High-speed EDM milling with moving electric arcs, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 20–24, (2009).
3. Kao, J. Y., Tsao, C. C., Wang, S. S., Hsu, C. Y., Optimization of the EDM parameters on machining Ti–6Al–4V with multiple quality characteristics, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 47, No.1-4, pp. 395–402, (2010).
4. Mircescu, C., Slătineanu, L., Coteaţă, M., Beşliu, I., Dodun, O., Radovanovic, M., Work speed at ram electrical discharge machining of external cylindrical surfaces, Academic Journal of Manufacturing Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 55-60, (2014).
5. Mircescu, C., Coteaţă, M., Slătineanu, L., Considerations on the electrical discharge machining of external cylindrical surfaces, The 17-th International Conference "Inventica 2013", June 19th-21th, Jassy, Romania, (2013).
6. Shen, Y., Liu, Y., Zhang, Y., Dong, H., Sun, W., Wang, X., Zheng, C., Ji, R., High-speed dry electrical discharge machining, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, vol. 93, pp. 19–25, (2015).
7. Slătineanu, L., Mircescu, C., Coteaţă, M., Dodun, O., Beşliu, I., Radovanovic, M., Characteristics of obtaining external cylindrical surfaces by ram electrodischarge machining, 2014 International Conference on Production Research - Europe, Africa and Middle East 3rd International Conference on Quality and Innovation in Engineering and Management, July 1-5, 2014, , pp. 457-462, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, (2014).
8. Wang, F., Liu, Y. , Zhang, Y., Tang, , R., Zheng, C., Compound machining of titanium alloy by super high speed EDM milling and arc machining, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 214, No. 3, pp. 531–538(2014).