MODELLING OF PERPENDICULARITY OF CUT IN HIGH POWER CO2 LASER CUTTING OF 5 MM THICK ALUMINIUM ALLOY
Beside productivity and costs, the cut quality is the third most important criteria in laser cutting. An important quality indicator of laser cutting is perpendicularity of cut. In this paper, the effects of the laser power, cutting speed and assist gas pressure on perpendicularity of cut in CO2 laser cutting of 5 mm thick aluminium alloy was studied. In order to develop mathematical relationship between laser cutting parameters and perpendicularity of cut, full factorial design experimentation, by varying each parameter at three levels, was conducted. Based on the obtained experimental data, regression based mathematical model was developed upon which the effects of considered laser cutting parameters on perpendicularity of cut were analysed.
3. Madić, M., Radovanović, M., Kovačević, M., Modelling and optimization of kerf width obtained in CO2 laser cutting of aluminium alloy using discrete Monte Carlo method, Journal of Production Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-42, (2015).
4. Campbell, F.C., Manufacturing Technology for Aerospace Structural Materials, Elsevier, Amsterdam/Kidlington, (2006).
5. Olsen, F.O., Fundamental mechanisms of cutting front formation in laser cutting. In Europto High Power Lasers and Laser Applications V (pp. 402-413). International Society for Optics and Photonics, (1994).
6. Riveiro, A., Quintero, F., Lusquinos, F., Comesana, R, Pou, J., Parametric investigation of CO2 laser cutting of 2024-T3 alloy, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 210, No. 9, pp. 1138-1152, (2010).
7. Riveiro, A., Quintero, F., Lusquiños, F., Comesaña, R., Del Val, J., Pou, J., The role of the assist gas nature in laser cutting of aluminum alloys, Physics Procedia, Vol. 12, No. 1, p. 548-554, (2011).
8. Araujo, D., Carpio, F.J., Mendez, D., Garcia, A.J., Villar, M.P., Garcia, R., Jimenez, D., Rubio, L., Microstructural Study of CO2 laser machined heat affected zone of 2024 aluminum alloy, Applied Surface Science, Vol. 208-209, No. 1, p. 210–217, (2003).
9. Leone, C. Genna, S., Caggiano, A., Tagliaferri, V., Molitierno, R., An investigation on Nd:YAG laser cutting of Al 6061 T6 alloy sheet, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 64-69, (2015).
10. Dubey, A.K., Yadava, V., Robust parameter design and multi-objective optimization of laser beam cutting for aluminium alloy sheet, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 38, No. 3-4, pp. 268-277, (2008).
11. Madić, M., Radovanović, M., & Nedić, B., Modeling and optimization of CO2 laser cutting of stainless steel using RSM and GA. Nonconventional Technologies Review, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 9-14, (2012).
12. BS EN ISO 9013:2002(E). Thermal cutting – Classification of thermal cuts – Geometrical product specification and quality tolerances. International Organization for Standardization. Geneva.